Community

A Positive Story

Moises Hernandez has been fashioning beautiful baskets on the side of the free road near the Pescador Restaurant since 1978.  He patiently and skillfully cuts the carrizo, which is a tall reed that looks like bamboo.  He peels the strips, then pounds them flat until they are perfect for working.  The next step is to cut the strips into the …

Read More »

Send me a man who reads

The Readers Digest… Remember that? Not exactly fashionable to admit reading it these days.  A staple of my youth, I sat down monthly to read it as soon as it arrived; I loved that the Table of Contents was right on the cover (I lamented when a format change moved it inside).  I could jump right to my favorite humor …

Read More »

A New School Like Headstart

Buenos Principios, an elementary school to serve 20 of the poorest and neediest of Rosarito’s children, is ready to begin construction.  Planning for the school was spearheaded by Antonio and Imelda Ayala, local educators who both come from backgrounds of poverty.  Sr. Ayala is now a professor of English and Spanish, teaching classes privately in a classroom in their home …

Read More »

Fun and Games

You say you go to a restaurant to eat? How very single purpose of you. Because, should you wander into Charly’s Place on a Friday afternoon, Casa de Don Juan on a Tuesday evening, Mongolian Grill on the second Wednesday of the month, Oceana Grill on the third…. you’ll encounter folks who have more on their agendas than a satisfying …

Read More »

Rosarito Lee

Libraries have been around for centuries, probably since the beginning of the printed word on scrolls.  As children, if we’re fortunate, we grow up with libraries in our communities and in our schools.  Rosarito and the surrounding area have five libraries.  In addition to IMac (Instituto Municipal de Arte y Cultura in Rosarito) there are four other libraries in our …

Read More »

Too Happy

Is it possible to be too happy?  George Carlin, a favorite comic and raconteur, said that he met a fellow people said was “Too happy” and that was enough to send George away to a funny farm for a long rest.  I would have agreed with George some years ago but that was before we moved to Rosarito. Last evening, …

Read More »

Acting

What’s it like to stand before a lot of people – some you know and some you don’t – and become someone else? After the torture of studying words you would never say in real life which makes it even harder to remember them.  And after the fear that you will never remember your lines and ruin the whole play, …

Read More »

Gorgeous Women of Baja

What do women in Baja, with extra time on their hands do? Well, there is gardening, yoga, restaurants, Zumba,  qigong, theatre, volunteering, restaurants, dancing, rescuing stray cats and dogs, late morning coffee, Sunday brunches, walks on the beach, and oh! – posing in a tastefully done nude calendar called Gorgeous Women of Baja. Aha! Where did that last activity come …

Read More »

Undies on the Line

I have to admit, I just like the sound of it.  Undies on the line.  I mean, it’s true, they are there, on the clothesline, hanging in the breeze.  But somehow the idea of it sounds much more glamorous, more adventurous, even exciting, than it actually is.  Because they are just hanging there.  That’s about it. The reality of the …

Read More »

Pass the Popcorn

It’s Oscar season!  Well, it is as I’m writing and, as you read, Oscar season has just passed.  Were you invited to any of the after parties?  No?  Me neither.  Have you seen all of the nominated movies?  Hmm, me neither. But it’s never too late – the roster of winners certainly provides a great list of movie “must-sees.”  But, …

Read More »